Friday, April 25, 2014

Salah versus Immodesty

Yes, immodesty is on the rise, and it has its causes, but all diseases have their cures or more importantly preventions. Let’s have a look at what deters immodesty, so that we may acquire one of the branches of faith – modesty.
A huge deterrent of immodesty is Salah. Allah says in the Quran:
“Recite (O Muhammad [peace be upon him]) what has been revealed to you of the Book (the Qur’ân), and perform As-Salât (Iqamât¬as¬Salât). Verily, As-Salât (the prayer) prevents from Al-Fahshâ’ (i.e. great sins of every kind, unlawful sexual intercourse) and Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief, polytheism, and every kind of evil wicked deed) and the remembering (praising) of (you by) Allâh (in front of the angels) is greater indeed [than your remembering (praising) of Allâh in prayers. And Allâh knows what you do.”
-      Surah Ankaboot
In this verse, Allah orders us to recite the revelation, and that is the Great Qur’an. And reciting it means to follow it, obey its commands and avoid what it has forbidden against. It also means to be guided with its guidance, to believe in its news, to contemplate its meanings, and to recite its words. Furthermore, the establishment of the Deen is also included in this ‘recitation’ of the Book. Hence, to establish Salah is also included in the same command but Allah mentioned Salah again specifically because of its status, its virtue and its beautiful impacts which are: Verily, As-Salât (the prayer) prevents from Al-Fahshâ' and Al-Munkar
Fahshaa’ are all those huge and immodest disobediences that are desired by the nafs, whereas munkar are those sins that are disliked by the intellect and by human nature.
The reason why Salah prevents immodesty is that the slave establishes it, fulfils its pillars, conditions and tranquility properly. His heart is enlightened and purified. Salah increases his faith and his desire to do good and lessens his desire to execute acts of evil and immodesty. So, to be regular and to protect one’s Salah necessarily diverts the person from evil and immodesty and this is one of the greatest purposes and benefits of Salah. And a greater and bigger purpose of Salah is the remembrance of Allah, by the heart, by the tongue and by the body for indeed, Allah, Exalted He is, created all beings for his worship. And the best of worships is Salah, for it includes the submission of all body parts, and this is not in other forms of worship.
(See Tafseer as Sa’di)

Effectiveness of Salah

To fully benefit from Salah, tranquility and reverence (khushu’) are required.
One of our righteous predecessors was asked, “How do you maintain khushu’ in your Salah?”
Read and contemplate on his (paraphrased) reply:
“Before, I enter into Salah, I know that I am going to perform it before my Lord, I imagine Paradise along with its bliss and blessings on my right, while I imagine hellfire on my left – the hellfire whose frightening screams, rages and roars can be heard from a long distance. And I imagine death behind me. I enter Salah with Takbeeratul Ihram and recite Al Faatihah. Al Faatihah is not but a conversation with the Lord of the worlds. [1] And when I prostrate, I prostrate the prostrations of a lowly slave, one who has been unjust to himself. And when I sit between the prostrations, I ask my Lord for five things:
O Allah! Pardon me, have mercy on me, help me, guide me, and grant me sustenance.
And contemplate on At-Tahiyyaat, towards the end of which prayer is made to bless all righteous people of this Ummah up until the time when the Hour is established [2]. And then send blessings upon the beloved Messenger, and ask refuge in Allah from four things:
O Allah! I seek refuge in You from the torment of Hell, from the torment of the grave, from the trials of life and death, and from the mischief of Al-Masih Ad-Dajjal.”
Brothers and sisters, let’s try implementing the above in our Salah and enjoy its benefits. May Allah be our helper!
[1] The Prophet (SAW) said; “Allah the exalted said, ‘I have divided the prayer (Surah Al-Fatihah) into two halves between Me and My servant. A half of it is for Me and a half for My servant, and My servant shall acquire what he asked for.
If he says, ‘All praise and thanks be to Allah, the Lord of existence,’ Allah says, ‘My servant has praised Me.’
When the servant says, ‘The Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.’ Allah says, ‘My servant has extolled Me.’
When he says, ‘Master of the Day of Judgment.’ Allah says, ‘My servant has glorified Me.’
When he says, ‘You (alone) we worship, and You (alone) we ask for help.’ Allah says, ‘This is between Me and My servant, and My servant shall acquire what he sought.’
When he says, ‘Guide us to the straight path. The way of those on whom You have granted Your grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your anger, nor of those who went astray.’ Allah says, ‘This is for My servant, and My servant shall acquire what he asked for.’

[2] It is narrated that whenever Sheikh ibn Uthaymeen would be asked by people, “Please pray for me,” he would reply, “We pray for you in all our Salahs.” (referring to ‘assalamo alaina wa ‘ala ‘ibadillahissaliheen’) So, make yourself one of the righteous and Muslims all over the world will pray for you until the Day of 

No comments:

Post a Comment